Here are Some Common Examples of Elder Abuse:
- A resident being left in agony for two weeks with an undiagnosed broken leg.
- A man who received just one bath in 22 days.
- Residents being asked to use newspaper instead of toilet rolls in the bathroom.
- A vulnerable man on a liquid-only diet being given a plate of hamburger and chips.
- A Elderly woman left in her feces getting into her stage four bedsore to become infected causing her death.
- A a man so Dehydrated and Malnourished that he lost total kidney functions.
Care was undermined by chronic staff shortages and “overworked” nurses and nursing assistants.
The complete lack of respect and dignity shown to residents, coupled with poor standards of care, are a damning indictment of the elder health care system that must now be radically reformed or more elders will continue to be severely neglected and abused says Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer Steven Peck.
In one case, an elderly man endured a series of healthcare blunders, which led to his rapid deterioration and death. An investigation revealed he had suffered a pressure sore that went untreated for so long it turned into a wound one inch deep by two wide.
About the Author
Attorney Steven Peck has been practicing law since 1981. A former successful business owner, Mr. Peck initially focused his legal career on business law. Within the first three years, after some colleagues and friend’s parents endured nursing home neglect and elder abuse, he continued his education to begin practicing elder law and nursing home abuse law.